It’s always summer somewhere. This year, for many of us, it looks like that “somewhere” could mean a holiday in our own country.
And why not? There are so many beautiful places to visit in our country. And yes, we may not get the Mediterranean heat but there are plenty of staycation options offering the pamper luxury of a spa day, indoor swimming pool or heated outdoor pool. Upmarket lodges and campsites often have hot tubs to enjoy too.
So, that means packing your swimsuit. But what are the best swimsuit options for a staycation spa break or hotel getaway?
I talked to Melanie Mogford, owner of Beach and Body, an independent swimwear specialist boutique, based in Westbourne in Bournemouth to get her top tips. Melanie celebrates 21 years in fitting women of all shapes and sizes into the most flattering swimwear available, so she really knows her stuff. Her shop is a treasure trove of designer swimwear in a kaleidoscope of colours.
Six top swimwear tips from Melanie at Beach and Body
You need to feel comfortable, whether you decide to lounge by the pool or chill out in the hot tub.
- Invest in swimwear with patented Xtra Life lycra. This fabric lasts longer than high street swimwear and has excellent return-to-shape properties. It will cope better with the impact of extra chlorine in pools and especially jacuzzis.
- If you’re staycationing with your family – perhaps you’ll be called on to help with children or grandchildren by the pool? You need to feel secure in your costume but secure doesn’t have to
mean boring. Check out designs like this swimsuit from Gottex for great tummy control and elegant straps that sit, and more importantly, stay on your shoulders properly. Proper cup fit is essential so that your swimsuit/bikini stays in place, even when you’re chasing an energetic toddler around!
- Black is generally the go to for spa wear and we adore this latest look by Sunflair with just a cheeky bit of cross-stitch colour running down the front. Or why not unleash a bit of animal print? This gorgeous underwire swimsuit from Charmline shows how easy it is to combine fabulous with practical.
- If black is not in your colour palette, don’t risk it! Swimwear sits very close to your skin so getting the right colour is even more important than your everyday clothing. Beach and Body have a huge choice of collections in gorgeous colours and the experienced team are all colour-analysis aware so why not take along your colour swatches when you visit?
- It’s worth taking time to get professional advice about the correct fit for that extra confidence boost. The right shape swimsuit can make you look slimmer and more toned. That’s a fact, not a myth. The Beach and Body experts offer years of experience in finding the right choice for your body shape, whether you are pear, apple, slim, hourglass or curvaceous.
- It’s not enough to rinse your lovely new swimwear in the shower. Always follow after-use care advice and use the right washing product for your swimsuit. It will reward you by lasting longer and maintaining its newness.
Beach and Body is open Tuesday to Saturday 10am to 5pm. Out of hours appointments also available. The boutique practices social distancing guidelines.
13 Seamoor Road Westbourne Bournemouth BH4 9AA
Tel: 01202 759818
Or visit their online shop 24/7.